Activities & Facilities
Shumbalala gives guests the opportunity to to head out on exciting morning and evening game drives, in open Land Rovers. These drives are conducted and guided by a team of informative and experienced guides, making for a hugely authentic and enjoyable excursion. Close up introductions to the bush are made via the guided bush walk, while visits are arranged out bird watching to enjoy the area's huge bird population.
In addition to the standard fare of safari activities, Shumbalala offers a host of optional fees which can be arranged, at a fee, for a different perspective on this gorgeous safari area. These include:
• Elephant-back safaris, conducted aboard gigantic local elephants. An unforgettable excursion into the park with these majestic animals.
• Hot air balloon rides - the epitome of romantic exploration, these exhilarating rides put you directly in the middle of a fully panoramic experience of the Thornybush landscape.
• Lying nearer the Phalaborwa side of the park, the Hans Merensky Golf Estate is a championship facility, available for an eighteen hole game to guests of the park.
• Horseback safaris are conducted, a brisk trot through the area giving guests the mobility and speed of a fast paced jaunt, with the regal sense of nobility and grace that comes with riding your own horse out into the surrounding vegetation.
• A one and a half hour long visit to the Hoespruit cheetah project incorporates a touching and informative video presentation, followed by a viewing session involving such beauties as the King Cheetah and African Wild Dog.
• An excursion out to the Moholoholo Wildlife Rehabilitation and breeding Centre, which is in the business of preserving endangered species within the park.
• A gorgeous, scenic trip out to the Blyde River Canyon.
Facilities at Shumbalala Lodge include a lounge with fireplace, reserve airstrip, laundry services, a swimming pool, library with internet connectivity, complimentary Wi-Fi, and underground cellar.